The Warwickshire Ladies’ County Golf Association was founded in 1900 when eight golf clubs joined the Association. The men soon followed with the formation of the Warwickshire Union of Golf Clubs in 1906.
The first Warwickshire Ladies’ County Championship was held in 1901 at Coventry Golf Club where it was won by Miss A Steedman from North Warwickshire Aylesford Ladies Golf Club.
The Association organises competitions to provide competitive opportunities for all members to encourage them to play an active role in the life of the County.
Over the years there have been many successful lady golfers in the county, some representing England and Great Britain and Ireland in international team events and in recent years some have joined the ranks of the Professional Golfers and are pursuing careers as players and teachers.
By 1901 there were 15 counties participating in county golf in England and Wales and Warwickshire played against Gloucestershire, Kent, Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire. The team travelled by train to play Surrey, Kent and Middlesex in singles matches on consecutive days in February of that year.
As more counties formed Associations and wished to participate in county golf the geographical areas of England and Wales were divided into four Divisions with Warwickshire in the Midlands Division, which was further divided into four sub-divisions. The winner of each Division qualified to play in the County Finals. Warwickshire ladies have reached the County Finals on several occasions and won the Championship in 1954 and 1963.
Following the incorporation of the English Ladies’ Golf Association into the English Women’s Golf Association in 2008, Welsh counties no longer play in County Golf with English teams and the 35 counties in England have been restructured into six regions, with Warwickshire in Midlands South.
More details of the history of the Association may be found in the WLCGA Centenary Book published in 2000.
Championship Cup – presented in 1901 by Miss Evelyn Dartmouth and held for one year by the winner of the County Championship.
Runner-Up Salver – held by the runner-up in the County Championship for one year
Vera Clayton Trophy – inaugurated in 1967 by Vera Clayton, County Captain 1996-97. The trophy is held for one year by the leading qualifier in the County Championship.
Silver Division Trophy – awarded to the player (handicap not more than 20) for the best nett score in the first 18 holes on the day of the qualifying rounds of the County Championship. The trophy is held for one year.
Bronze Division Championship Trophy – awarded to the player (handicap 21-36) for the lowest nett or best Stableford score on the day of the County Championship qualifying rounds. The trophy is held for one year.
Chipman Cup – donated by Mrs C C Chipman in 1932 for the best gross team score at the County Championship. In 1959 it was separated from the Championship and played for at the Inter Club Team Championship together with the Daisy Hartill Memorial Cup. It is held for one year by the affiliated Club returning the lowest aggregate gross score.
Daisy Hartill Memorial Cup – inaugurated 1938. The Cup had been won by Daisy Hartill as the Handicap Prize in the 1914 Ladies Pictorial Tournament. In 1938 and 1939 it was awarded for the best gross score in the qualifying round for the County Championship. From 1947 it was awarded for the best nett team score in the County Championship until in 1959 it was separated from the County Championship and played for at the Inter Club Team Championship. It is held for one year by the affiliated Club returning the lowest aggregate nett score.
Veronica Anstey Trophy – inaugurated 1960. The trophy is awarded to the player returning the lowest nett score in the 18 hole competition. Veronica Anstey, now Mrs John Beharrell, is one of Warwickshire’s most successful golfers having won the County Championship eight times and been a member of the successful County teams when Warwickshire won the County Finals in 1955 and 1963. Veronica’s many successes included the Australian Ladies’ Championship and the New Zealand Ladies’ Championship whilst a member of the British Junior Team that toured Australia and New Zealand in 1955. In 1960 Veronica was a member of the successful Curtis Cup team.
Edgbaston Scratch Cup – inaugurated 1962. The trophy is awarded to the winner of the Girls Championship with the best gross score and is held for one year.
Stratford Cup – inaugurated 1987. The trophy is awarded to the runner-up (gross score) in the Girls Championship and is held for one year.
Estelle Goodman Trophy The trophy is awarded to the player returning the best nett score in the Girls Championship and is held for one year.
Joyce Nichol Trophies – inaugurated 1972. The trophies are awarded to the players returning the best Stableford scores in both the Silver and Bronze Division. Joyce Nichol was Honorary Secretary of the County Association from 1955-1972.
Summer Meeting Trophies (Sugar Basins) are awarded to the partners with the best nett score in the Better Ball stroke play competition and are held for one year.
Hartill Jubilee Goblets – originally played for in the AGM Foursomes and then the Autumn Foursomes competition, the goblets are awarded to the partners with the best gross score in the Better Ball stroke play competition at the Summer Meeting and are held for one year.
Summer Salvers are awarded to the partners whose combined handicaps are over 40 returning the best nett score at the Summer Meeting and shall be held for one year.
Queen’s Silver Jubilee Salver – inaugurated 1977. The salver is awarded to the club winning the Inter Club League competition and is held for one year.
Beryl Turner Salver – inaugurated 1986 during Beryl Turner’s Captaincy of the County. The salver is awarded to the runners-up in the Inter Club League competition and is held for one year.