The Charles Heeley Challenge Bowl competition was inaugurated in 1925 when two sisters, Hilda and Connie Widdowson, who were members of Walmley Golf Club arranged for the proceeds of some of the club competitions to be used to support a school for crippled children at which they had both taught.
The Challenge Bowl was presented to the sisters by Mr Charles Heeley, a fellow member of Walmley Golf Club, to enable them to widen their charitable efforts to include golf clubs throughout the Midlands.
Since 1963 the final has taken place at a different venue each year, alternating between the three counties, Warwickshire, Staffordshire and Worcestershire. The host club chooses the charity that is to be supported.
Participating clubs hold a qualifying Stableford competition and the players with the best score in the Silver Division (handicaps up to 20) and Bronze Division (handicaps 21-36) qualify to play in the final where the winner of The Charles Heeley Challenge Bowl is the player with the best Stableford score over 18 holes. There are also prizes for the Best Gross score and the Best Net and Second Net scores in both Silver and Bronze Divisions.